HUD’s Housing Support Options

( – There are several government agencies available to help those in need of housing support. These agencies are managed by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). One of HUD’s lead agencies is the Department of Housing, which provides regulatory oversight to the real estate industry as well as the Federal Housing Administration.

HUD Housing Support Options 

HUD offers affordable housing for low-income individuals and families, people with disabilities, and elderly people. HUD distributes this support through state programs designed to create more affordable housing opportunities for those in need.

If you are looking for housing support, you can go online to connect with an approved housing advisor or call 1-800-569-4287 to speak with a local housing counselor. These housing counselors are often from nonprofit organizations that excel at connecting people in need of support with affordable housing.

HUD supports the following programs:

  • The Housing Choice Voucher Program
  • Public Housing
  • Private and subsidized housing

The Housing Choice Voucher Program

The Housing Choice Voucher program is more commonly known as Section 8 housing. It is a housing assistance program where houses are owned by landlords who receive vouchers from their tenants to make rent more affordable. This type of subsidized housing benefits low-income individuals and families, people with disabilities, and elderly individuals.

With the Housing Choice Voucher program, eligible recipients receive clean, safe homes in the private market. Qualified houses may be apartments, townhomes, or even single-family dwellings.

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) funds local public housing agencies that administer the program. Housing Agencies review eligibility requirements for the program, which include the following:

  1. Gross annual income
  2. Family size
  3. Citizenship
  4. Immigration Status

Eligible families receive a housing voucher and are then able to select their dwellings from a list of eligible homes. The Public Housing Administration can assist the individual or family with finding a house that meets their needs in terms of size and location. Once the family selects a home, the PHA must determine that it is indeed eligible and meets the program’s health and safety standards. If the voucher approved doesn’t cover the full cost of the rental agreement, tenants will have to make up the difference. However, a requirement of the program is that the tenant spend no more than 30% of the rental value for the home.

Public Housing

Public housing is another affordable option to connect individuals and families in need of support with safe housing. The program includes single-family homes as well as communities for elderly applicants. HUD disperses funds to local housing authorities to operate the program. Government agencies usually own and maintain the public housing buildings.

The following factors determine eligibility for Public Housing:

  1. Your annual income
  2. If you’re elderly or disabled
  3. Your citizenship or immigration status

Income limits for local housing are set by HUD and vary depending on the city and state where you live. If you meet the basic eligibility requirements, the Housing Authority will conduct a background check to rule out those with a criminal background. Applicants can apply for public housing by contacting the local public housing office.

Privately Owned and Subsidized Housing

Another affordable housing program includes privately owned and subsidized housing. The government partners with private landlords who agree to reduce rent. In this program, the homes are not owned by the housing authority. Non-profit organizations and private owners are the ones who own the homes and negotiate the rent with the government.

Subsidized housing programs have their own eligibility requirements, including low-income, which can vary from state to state. Applicants can check the income limits for their county or city to determine if they qualify. Rental units can be found online and set up directly with the owner or property management company. Complaints about owner housing can be reported to the Multi-Family Housing Complaint Line by phone (1-800-685-8470).

Get Housing Support from the Government Today

If you are a low-income individual or family, are aged 65 or older, or have special needs, you may be eligible for government housing support. Visit HUD or today to learn more about your options and to check local eligibility requirements. Safe, affordable housing may be available that meets your individual or family needs.

Copyright 2023,