Makes 4 Servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms, (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking or instant wild rice, (see Ingredient Note)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken, or turkey (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Active Preparation: 35 minutes
Ready in: 35 minutes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in turkey (or chicken), sour cream and parsley and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes more.
Ingredient Notes / Tips:
- Quick-cooking or instant wild rice has been parboiled to reduce the cooking time. Conventional wild rice takes 40 to 50 minutes to cook. Be sure to check the cooking directions when selecting your rice—some brands labeled “quick” take about 30 minutes to cook. If you can’t find the quick-cooking variety, just add cooked conventional wild rice along with the turkey at the end of Step 2.
- To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serving size: about 1 3/4 cups
- Per serving: 378 calories; 11 g fat(4 g sat); 3 g fiber; 29 g carbohydrates; 37 g protein; 57 mcg folate; 80 mg cholesterol; 3 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 4518 IU vitamin A; 6 mg vitamin C; 73 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 364 mg sodium; 748 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (90% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Zinc (20% dv), Folate & Iron (16% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat