Swimmer Dies from Flesh‐Eating Bacteria

Water Health Warning

After swimming in the Gulf of Mexico, a 31-year-old man has died from an infection with a flesh-eating bug, according to the British Medical Journal.

The unidentified man had recently acquired a new tattoo, and he opted to swim 5 days after doing so, while his tattoo had not fully healed.

The bug, Vibrio vulnificus, is most commonly acquired by eating undercooked seafood or when swimming in infected water with open wounds.

According to the CDC, “Vibriosis causes an estimated 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths in the United States every year. People with vibriosis become infected by consuming raw or undercooked seafood or exposing a wound to seawater.”

After symptoms led to his hospitalization, and subsequently being put on life support for two weeks, his condition deteriorated to the point of septic shock and kidney failure, according to Metro.

Leave A Reply