- 1 14-ounce can petite diced tomatoes, preferably with jalapeños
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey, or chicken (12 ounces; see Tip)
- 8 corn tortillas
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/4 cup prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Preparation Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven; preheat to 375°F.
- Bring tomatoes and their juice to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and most of the liquid has evaporated, 15 to 20 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken) and cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat tortillas on both sides with cooking spray. Divide the tortillas between 2 large baking sheets. Bake, turning once, until crisped and lightly brown, about 10 minutes.
- Mash avocado in a bowl. Stir in salsa, sour cream and cilantro until combined.
- To assemble tostadas, spread each crisped tortilla with some of the avocado mixture. Top with the turkey (or chicken) mixture, lettuce and cheese.
- Tip: To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan. Add lightly salted water to cover and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 12 minutes.Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
- Serving size: 2 tostadas
- Per serving: 435 calories; 19 g fat(5 g sat); 8 g fiber; 34 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 76 mcg folate; 84 mg cholesterol; 5 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1355 IU vitamin A; 8 mg vitamin C; 181 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 731 mg sodium; 683 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% daily value), Iron (15% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
To view the recipe on eatingwell.com click here.