Makes 4 Servings
- 2 15-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plain dry breadcrumbs, divided
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder, hot if desired, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, diced
Active Preparation: 25 minutes
Ready In: 45 minutes
- Preheat oven to 425 °F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Mash black beans and cumin with a fork in a large bowl until no whole beans remain. Stir in corn and 1/4 cup breadcrumbs. Combine tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon chili powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir 1 cup of the tomato mixture into the black bean mixture.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, oil and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon chili powder in a small bowl until the breadcrumbs are coated with oil. Divide the bean mixture into 8 scant 1/2-cup balls. Lightly press each bean ball into the breadcrumb mixture, turning to coat. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the croquettes until heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Stir avocado into the remaining tomato mixture. Serve the salsa with the croquettes.
Tips: Line the baking sheet with foil for easy cleanup.
- Serving size: 2 croquettes & 1/2 cup salsa
- Per serving: 404 calories; 13 g fat(2 g sat); 17 g fiber; 61 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 207 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 12 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 1248 IU vitamin A; 25 mg vitamin C; 127 mg calcium; 5 mg iron; 450 mg sodium; 1161 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Folate (52% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Potassium (33% dv), Iron (29% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv)
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
- Exchanges: 3-1/2 starch, 1 Vegetable, 2 Lean-meat and 1 fat